Friday, January 11, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

It has been about 3 months since I read this book. What amazes me is the profound impact it has created. Khaled Hosseini in this second book he has written, has gone on to prove again that story-telling is an art that most people desire to acquire, some put in their efforts, and very few manage to master. I would definitely put Hosseini in the last category - no two ways about it.

A friend lent me the book, and when I was going to return it, I was asked to keep it! And, that indeed was a pleasant surprise.

One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls

A beautiful and intrinsic poetic expression by Saib-e-Tabrizi about Kabul, where the story is set.

Enough and more has been written in the reviews floating across cyberspace. Let me share what impressed me most about this book.

Keeping the reader engaged - As I was reading this book, I realized that I simply wouldn't want to put the book down. The narration of events as they unfolded, the incidents shaping the lives of the characters, a visual walkthrough into history, and the occasional intersperse of couplets from poetry leads this book to a place of pride in my library.

Depicting a woman's fortitude - Living the lives of Mariam and Laila, the main characters of this book, is not easy by any shred of imagination. They manage to find their niche amidst life in a highly patriarchal society. Their "can do, will do" attitude in spite of all odds reinforces the deep courage and resolve we notice and sometimes fail to notice in the women that surround us in our everyday lives.

Interspersing with poetry - Reading those profound couplets scattered in a few places across the book, excited me no end. Anyone that has an inclination for poetry or appreciates poetry would find this a treat. Well, it led me look for and read more poems by Tabrizi.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy reading this book as it transports you to a region that was once part of Mahabharat - the great Indian epic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home